Blocking specific sites within certain countries.

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Nov 15 01:41:25 UTC 2002

-- On Thursday, November 14, 2002 6:01 PM -0500
-- Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu supposedly wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:26:21 EST, "Patrick W. Gilmore"
> <patrick at ianai.net>  said:
>
>> Not if you block the domain name terrorist.com from resolving at the
>> caching name server, only if you block the IP address to which is
>> resolves  on your routers.  (Which in many cases will be an Akamai
>> server inside your  network - if not, just ask. :)
>
> http://a1016.g.akamai.net/f/1016/606/1d/(rest deleted)
>
> So tell me again how you're going to filter a1016.g.akamai.net?  And how
> you're not going to piss off the OTHER sites on that server? (Yes, I know
> that the virtualized hostname is down in the (rest deleted) part of the
> URL - is that what you want to try to filter in a firewall? Especially
> when the name could (and probably will) be % encoded or whatever?

Well, believe it or not, you can filter on aXXXX. :)

But more importantly, no user is ever going to type
"aXXX.g.akamai.com/foo/bar/etc...".  They are going to type
"www.ticketmaster.com", which is a CNAME for aXXX.  If the ISP's name
server filters the "ticketmaster.com" domain, your random luser is not
going to be able to get to www.ticketmaster.com.

> Or are we simply assuming that all terrorists are dumb enough to not know
> how to use a proxy? (Remember that we *are* worried they're smart enough
> to use strong crypto...)

I did not think this is about stopping terrorists from getting to special
sites.  I thought this was about a government censoring its citizens from
seeing "bad" web sites.  Which is a Bad Idea IMHO, but I doubt the Spanish
government cares what I think.

Besides, what's to stop Joe User from using a public proxy outside his
country? :)

--
TTFN,
patrick