Blocking specific sites within certain countries.

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Nov 14 22:26:21 UTC 2002

-- On Thursday, November 14, 2002 4:52 PM -0500
-- Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu supposedly wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:11:14 EST, Jim Deleskie <jdeleski at rci.rogers.com>
> said:
>>
>> Its my understanding that since Akamai is based on DNS resolves if you
>> where to use the method of blocking it within the DNS system it would
>> make no difference. Although I'm no Akamai expert.
>
> The Akamai gotcha is that if you block www.terrorist.com, where
> terrorist.com points to an Akamai server, you *ALSO* break the 4,934
> *other* websites that happen to have content on that same server.

Not if you block the domain name terrorist.com from resolving at the
caching name server, only if you block the IP address to which is resolves
on your routers.  (Which in many cases will be an Akamai server inside your
network - if not, just ask. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick