PAIX

David Diaz techlist at smoton.net
Thu Nov 14 18:52:21 UTC 2002

At 18:31 +0000 11/14/02, E.B. Dreger wrote:
>DD> Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:22:09 -0500
>DD> From: David Diaz
>

>DD> 1) Long haul circuits are dirt cheap.  Meaning distance
>DD> peering becomes more attractive.  L3 also has an MPLS product
>DD> so you pay by the meg.  I am surprised a great many peers are
>DD> using this.  But apparently CFOs love it
>
>Uebercheap longhaul would _favor_ the construction of local
>exchanges.
>
>Let's say I pay $100k/mo port and $10M/mo loop... obviously, I
>need to cut loop cost.  If an exchange brings zero-mile loops to
>the table, that should reduce loop cost.  Anyone serious will
>want a good selection of providers, and the facility offering the
>most choices should be sitting pretty.

This is an interesting and good point, but any carrier hotel provides
the same thing.

>Likewise, I agree that expensive longhaul would favor increased
>local peering... but, if local loop were extremely cheap, would
>an exchange be needed?  It would not be inappropriate for all
>parties to congregate at an exchange, but I'd personally rather
>run N dirt-cheap loops across town from my private facility.
>
>Hence I refer to an "imbalance" in loop/longhaul pricing; a large
>proliferation in exchanges could be precipitated by _either_ loop
>_or_ longhaul being "expensive"... and it seems expensive loop
>would be a more effective driver for local exchanges.

Tried this.  Yes you are right, problem is local loops are sometimes
extremely difficult to get delivered in a timely manner and upgrading
them can be an internal battle with the CFO.  To solve this, we
deployed the Bellsouth mix.  I actually came up with the idea while
have a terrible time getting private peering sessions up while at
Netrail.  6months was a ridiculous timeframe.  Bellsouth liked it and
deployed it, eventually.  So now you have a distributed optical
exchange where you can point and click and drop circuits btw any of
the nodes; nodes were located at many colos and undersea fiber drops.
Theoretically this meant the exchange was "colo" neutral.  With flat
rate loops it meant location wasnt important.  Each node also allows
for hairpinning so you could do peering within the room at a reduced
rate (since u werent burning any ring-side capacity).

The neat part was that customers would be able to see and provision
their own capacity via a login and pwd.  Also, with UNI 1.0, the IP
layer would be able to upgrade capacity on the fly.  No one has put
that into production but real world test have worked.  In reality a
more realistic scenario was the ability of a customer to upgrade from
an OC3 to an OC12.  The ports were the same so it was just a setting
on the NMS to change.  It was a nice feature and meant engineers did
now have to justify ESP feelings on how traffic would grow to a
grouchy CFO.

>DD> 2) There is a lack of a killer app requiring peering every
>DD> 100 sq Km. VoIP might be the app.  Seems to be gaining a
>
><minirant>
>By the time IP packets are compressed and QOSed enough to support
>voice, one essentially reinvents ATM or FR (with ATM seeming
>suspiciously like FR with fixed-length cells)...
></minirant>
>

>DD> great deal of traction.  Since it's obvious traffic levels
>DD> would sky rockets, and latency is a large concern, and there
>DD> is a need to connect to the local voice TDM infrastructure,
>
>Yes, although cost would trump latency.  Once latency is "good
>enough", cost rules.  Would I pay a premium to reduce latency
>from 50ms to 10ms for voice calls?  No.

I agree.  A couple off-list emails to me did not seem to understand
this.  Just because we post something does not mean it's our personal
pref, it's just we are posting the reality of what will likely happen
in our opinion.  If there is not a competitive advantage, backed up
by reduced cost or increased revenue, it would be a detriment to
deploy it... more likely a CFO would shoot it down.

Someone sent an example as if I am making the statement no one needs
more then 640k of ram on their computer.  Never made that analogy,
but there is a limit.  It also seems to me that shared supercomputer
time is making a come back.  IBM seems to be pushing in that
direction, and there are several grid networks being setup.  The
world changes.

Let's face it.  Has anyone talked about the protocols to run these
super networks?  Where we have something like 100-400 peering nodes
domestically?  Injecting those routes into our IGP?  Talk about a
complex design... now we need to talk about tricks to prevent the
overflow of our route tables internally... ok I can here people
getting ready to post stuff about reflectors etc.

Truth is, it's just plain difficult to hit critical mass at a new
exchange point.  No one wishes to be 1st since there is little
return.  Perhaps these exch operators need to prime the pump by
offered tiered rates, the 1st 1/3 of peers deploying coming in at a
permanent 50% discount.