new bind vuln

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Nov 13 04:05:12 UTC 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 06:10:14PM -0500, Gerald wrote:

> Haven't seen mention of this yet today and DNS affects most everyone in
> some way. The advisory was released a day early according to FreeBSD
> security officer.

	The FreeBSD security officer was having a serious bout of
optical rectitus (did that make it past the censor...  I did promise
no more violations of short monosylables...).  The release was not
a day early, the release was on the date that ISS and ISC agreed on.

	Actually, I'll take that back...  The FreeBSD security officer
was "Notified this morning by CERT.  The notification indicated that ISS
would go public tomorrow (not today)...".  So it's unclear as to who
was suffering from optical rectitus, the FreeBSD dude or CERT.  If
he received the notification in the morning, was it sent the prior
evening and he didn't get the time jump across midnight, or did CERT
suffer from a similar brain fart (opppsss...  Is that a banned word?).
IAC...  The advisory was negotiated and agreed upon between ISS and ISC
(who was notified by ISS on Oct 25).  It went out as agreed upon and as
scheduled and as CERT was notified of.  You figure out where the dain
bramage lay...

> http://bvlive01.iss.net/issEn/delivery/xforce/alertdetail.jsp?oid=21469

> &

> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freebsd-security&m=103712312402461&w=2