No subject

Daniel Golding dgold at FDFNet.Net
Tue Nov 12 22:45:23 UTC 2002

Generally ISPs use their own, in-house solutions for IP address
assignment, although freeipdb and northstar are now available as well.
Most ISPs don't assign address space with on-net aggregation in mind.
Most aggregation occurs at the AS boundary.

I can't say that I have ever found an ISP that emulated RIR practices,
because addressing behavior is so different...

- Most folks who receive space from their upstreams don't ever require
more, and if they do, contiguous space is certainly not a requirement.

- ISPs who receive space from RIRs will typically be back for more, at
some point, and may turn in some space to get other, more aggregatable
space. This requires some degree of forethought on the part of the RIRs
who anticipate that someone receiving a /20 may be back for the second
half of that /19 at some point.

- Dan