Breaking Stuff by Fixing NAT

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Nov 12 07:18:31 UTC 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 22:55:35 PST, "Crist J. Clark" said:

> As I stated in the original mail this is a dial-up-type service. The
> connections are serial using PPP. The addresses are assigned within
> PPP and are dynamic. They could get a different one within the block

Ahh.. I missed the "and are dynamic" the first time around.  I had the
mispleasure of running PPP with a static IP for quite some time due to
some software limitations...

> The thing we just know is that if we stand up in front of the upper
> management and say, "There is no way this can possibly break
> _anything,_" there will have been some brilliant idiot out there who
> found a way to set up some unmanned site with a configuration that
> gets broken and some customer raises holy hell when they have to fly a
> helicopter out to some remote location to get in a tech to fix it.

C|N>K :)

A *helicopter*? ;)

One has to wonder which would flush out more brilliant idiots - making the
change without announcing it, or announcing it will happen the night of Dec
6/7, and actually doing it on the night of the 13/14. ;)

I don't suppose you could get away with telling the brilliant idiots that
they just need to install the latest Microsoft hotfixes (though I'm sure
if you get to that point, they'll call back and ask why they wont install
on their Mac ;)

/Valdis