"VeriSign Moves DNS Server To Boost Security"

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Sat Nov 9 02:44:09 UTC 2002

Perhaps we shouldn't be saying "post-ICANN" as we're in "ICANN age" now,
if they were to be gone, it then be "post-ICANN" and things might even
move faster (or not at all :) ...

But seriously are there any volunteers there to run root name servers in
Europe and Asia or are people now  expecting to get paid to it through
ICANN contract. We do need root name server for every continent and
perhaps something like "official mirror" should be considered where
somebody would run nameserver with complete mirror of all zones that root
name server would have but it would not be considered "official root" name
server (but ISPs in its region would know about and us it). Are other
regions ever considered something like this to ease load on current root
servers or perhaps as a first step to having root server there?