"VeriSign Moves DNS Server To Boost Security"

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Nov 8 23:37:26 UTC 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Daniel Golding wrote:
> It's kept under Vice-President Cheney's bed. You can't get more
> undisclosed than that.

The Verisign delima, do they bus the politicians to undisclosed location
"A" to have their pictures taken with a root server; or to undisclosed
location "J" for their photo-op?

>From tha archives, "J" was only supposed to be at NSI for a temporary
period before moving to a different location (and organization), much like
"L" and "M" moved to LINX and WIDE after a brief period at ISI and NSI.

The real question isn't why "J" has moved a few miles to a different
Verisign building, but where in the world should "J" move?

>From my limited understanding of the data, Hong Kong appears to be the
most technically sound location for a new root server.  Asia-Pacific rim
is heavly dependant on "M" now.  Yes, a lot of A-P traffic is exchanged on
the west coast of the US. But HK is probably the second most central
telcomm location for the regiona. South America, Africa, Russia, India
have lots of people, but aren't very central network-wise.  Root servers
need to be able to serve the world, not just a local region or country.