Fw: Where is the edge of the Internet?

alok alok.dube at apara.com
Wed Nov 6 05:52:56 UTC 2002

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 01:27:21 +0530, alok <alok.dube at apara.com>  said:
> -------------> who does? the source is reachable.......via BGP.....its a
> valid internet address...

Hold that thought for a bit, and remember that at least *some* of us were
discussing whether to drop packets if we *DONT* have a route to the source.

=========> you cant if its a valid internet address...can you?

> ......there are enuf asymmetric networks, i can assure of of that... for
> one, you could simply try running a traceroute to some tracert sites from
ur
> PC and a reverse trace from those servers to you.... ull find lots...

And the point is, that even *WITH* an assymetric route, that if I *DONT*
have a route back to you *somehow*,  it's probably time for me to toss the
packet out the window.  There's a distinction between "the route to the
source goes out an interface other than the one the packet arrived on"
and "there is no route to the source at all, via any interface".

========> but that isnt the case here is it...some of ur internal core
routers may not have every router running bgp, so what do u do for such
scenarios..u default route it to a  bgp router....im missing your point.....