number of hops != performance

Gary Coates gary at newnet.co.uk
Tue Nov 5 17:32:09 UTC 2002

In a commercial sense hops are seen as bad, points of failure(?) or
'distance from the middle of the internet'?. Who knows

Traceroutes aren't great at seeing whats REALLY going on.

I suspect if everyone removed all their 'hop hiding' technology
traceroutes would be at least 60% longer, the latency would remain the same.

Commercial sense doesn't have to make sense... If its what your
competitors use to sell service, Hide your hops ;-)