Trying to find a connectivity provider that wont go under (was RE: CAIS/Ardent and now Network Access Solutions)

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Fri May 31 10:56:59 UTC 2002

> As far as I know, the following national providers exist in Detroit:
> (This is by no means, a complete list, and some of these aren't "Big
> Name" providers, but less likely to go under than John Q Random ISP)
The above is completely false statement in my opinion. From what I'v
seen, local "John Q  Random ISP" is a lot more likely to be stable, have
good support and less likely NOT TO go under then most of the "Big Name"
providers you listed (see comments).

> Verio
Dubious financial situation, although after restructuring and closing of
many offices & datacenters, they're getting better. Their network however
is fairly bad compared to majority of other national ip providers.

> Winstar
No longer in business.

> XO
Very very serious financial problems. Problems with their network as well.

> AT&T
Fairly stable due to the fact they do not have large bonds/loans as they
used to have lots of money when they were giant monopoly long distance.
But they continue to loose share of long-distance market and although they
bought former Northpoint network, they do not seem to be using it yet (???).
Nobody is sure what their future business plans are regarding internet
or anything else...

> Qwest
Serious financial problems. Customer service needs much improvement...

> Covad
Out of bankrupcy but not yet stable. They buy majority of their intenet
transit from Level3 and do not really have national ip network.

> Level 3
Stopped selling directly to small customers. You have to buy OC3 or
above or at least 100Mb and even that is not enough for them to take you
seriously (Note: known to still sell DS3 if you push them, but no longer
T1s).

> SBC
Big bad wolf ILEC :) Probably most stable of the list you have. Most
expensive too. I personally avoid doing business with SBC because of how
anticompetetive and anti-ISP they are.

> I've heard rumors of speakeasy.net, which I think resells internap
Primarily DSL ISP. I'v heard bad things about how they tricked resellers...
Check on dslreports on opinions about their service.

> I'm sure there's a few other national networks, these are just the ones
> I have heard of off the top of my head.
Of course, there are other networks - Worldcom/UUNET, Sprint, CWUSA, etc

But if I were you, I'd to yellow pages for list of ISPs or the some other
list of local isps (their used to be ones from boardwatch, thelist.com,
etc; check only for the ones that actually have office in your area) and
check with them if they can provide you with T1.

P.S. I'm only expressing my personal opinion about companies above, I do
not wish to initiate any kind of discussion with others on the list that
may work for these companies or would otherwise have different view on this.