IP renumbering timeframe

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu May 30 14:58:31 UTC 2002

In a message written on Thu, May 30, 2002 at 10:40:47AM -0400, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> It would add 30% to the number of BGP address blocks pretty much automatically.

How do you come up with that number?  Of course, we have an issue
with reclaiming existing space, but I think there are a number of
people who have /20's today who only need a /24.  Also, only
allocated ASN's could anounce (what's that, 24k today?), and probably
half or more of those would choose not to use this /24.  Why would
say, UUnet with /12's need a /24?  So I'm thinking worst case this
might be 5-15k new routes, which is probably 3-13% of the total
space already announced.