IP renumbering timeframe

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu May 30 13:20:17 UTC 2002

In a message written on Mon, May 06, 2002 at 02:14:34PM -0400, Joe Abley wrote:
> I wonder whether the average small, multi-homed ISP who currently
> lusts after PI space would find all their renumbering nightmares
> reduced to entirely manageable levels by the delegation of (say)
> 1 x /24 PI netblock to number nameservers and mail exchangers, and
> n x /whatever netblocks to number everything else.

This just gave me an interesting idea.  What if a /8 was set aside
from one of the reserved pools, and each ASN got one /24 out of
that /8 automatically and predictably (8 bits net + 16 bits of ASN
= 24 bits) when getting an ASN?

Since you have to connect to two or more providers to get an ASN,
and since the whole reason to have an ASN is to inject things into
the DFZ it doesn't seem like it would increase routing table size
by a huge amount.  It would eliminate one whole paperwork/justification
step (for your first address allocation).  For subsequent allocations
there is an example (that /24) of how efficiently the ISP uses the
space.