China's cable firms fight deadly turf war

Scott Weeks surfer at mauislanwanman.com
Thu May 30 12:07:52 UTC 2002

: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-311460,00.html
:
: China's cable firms fight deadly turf war
: From Oliver August in Shanying

Recall that this is a place where 'Freedom of Information' is a semi
non-concept.  Reporters quote the party line.  Newspapers praise
prison as a learning experience.

http://www.china.org.cn/english/2002/May/33528.htm
"Qungdag found the outside world entirely different when he walked out of
the Prison of Tibet Autonomous Region after serving his 8-year term
there...Qungdag opened a teahouse in Lhasa, capital of Tibet Autonomous
Region. Business soon boomed.  "I built up experience in business
management when I served as a member of the prison catering management
committee. And it worked in running the teahouse...I benefited a lot from
the skills and managerial experience I learned in prison...""

Who needs a college degree or certs?  That's a non-issue, just go to
prison, become "educated" and get "skills and managerial experience"
Dilbert would luv it...

Maybe this backs up the basis of the article that was so well timed...

http://www.china.org.cn/english/2002/May/33524.htm
"Only by strengthening government supervision in a competitive and open
market can a sound development of the information industry be
guaranteed...developing countries should establish a centralized,
independent, authoritative and efficient regulatory system, and formulate
telecommunication laws and regulations as well as regulatory policies in
line with national conditions...the 'game' cannot continue properly
without rules..."

This is from "China's top telecommunications industry official...Minister
of the Information Industry Wu Jichuan...[at the]...5th APEC (Asia-Pacific
Economic Cooperation) Ministerial Meeting of the Telecommunication and
Information Industry..."

A side question is: Can WE 'play the game' properly without governmental
supervision?  This is not a troll.  It's just an observation and a sort of
rhetorical question...  ;-)

scott

so I top posted.  Sue me.