Routers vs. PC's for routing - was list problems?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri May 24 06:07:40 UTC 2002

[ On Friday, May 24, 2002 at 04:50:27 (-0000), Joseph T. Klein wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Routers vs. PC's for routing - was list problems?
>
> Didn't National Semiconductor have a spec sheet for write only memory
> back in the late 70s or early 80s?
>
> I think they developed it for the NSA.

Not long ago I finished reading one of Stephen R. Donaldson's "The Gap"
series (the second -- I don't know if I'll bother with more of them)
where secure write-only "core" is said to be the foundation for
interstellar security.  Basically it's for keeping an unbreakable and
unmodifiable record of all ship functions and communications.  Only
authorised police have keys to read it, but it supposed to be physically
unalterable once written.  Of course it turns out what's written to it
is not quite so indelible as most people are lead to believe....  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods