Routers vs. PC's for routing - was list problems?

Dave Israel davei at algx.net
Thu May 23 22:22:50 UTC 2002

Then why ot boot from a CD-ROM?  Sure, it moves, but only for the
few minutes it takes to boot.  Then it spins down and sits idle for
the n days/weeks/months until the next reboot.  It would probably
last as long as the solid state drive, and would be cheaper.

The big problem here, of course, is software upgrades.  Personally,
I'd just use a hard drive and initrd (under linux) and leave the hd
controller out of the kernel.  When it comes time to upgrade, reboot
to an alternate kernel that has the hd support code.  But that's more
of a discussion for a Linux list than here.

-Dave

--
Dave Israel
Senior Manager, IP Backbone Engineering