Routers vs. PC's for routing - was list problems?

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Thu May 23 22:01:03 UTC 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002, E.B. Dreger wrote:

> SJS> a basic question, but the only EIDE mass-storage devices
> SJS> I've used are more traditional drives.
>
> Why not partition wisely, then mount the desired partition as
> read-only?  Or I guess one _could_ mount each partition as RO...
>
> But why?

The box I want to build is passing packets between the rest of my network
(and the public Internet) and one server that will hold sensitive data.
It'll be a Linux box with the TCP/IP stack running in bridged mode, with
two ethernet adapters installed. The box just needs to boot up and run. It
doesn't need to log anything.

--
Steve Sobol, CTO (Server Guru, Network Janitor and Head Geek)
JustThe.net LLC, Mentor On The Lake, OH  888.480.4NET   http://JustThe.net