Controlling Spam to the NOC

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Thu May 23 21:17:18 UTC 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002 measl at mfn.org wrote:

> <ramble>
> You hit it dead on: use all the tools at your disposal, but preemptively
> "whitelist" your customers.  Unfortunately, the whitelisting isn't always as
> easy as it sounds.  If they are within your IP space, you're good to go, but
> if they have the rare portable block, or they are multihomed, etc., you need
> to be more careful.
> </ramble>
>
> In Short: Whitelist like crazy, and then blacklist like mad!

We do both...but I wouldn't say whitelist like crazy.  More like whitelist
as needed, and find a blacklist or one of the message body parsing utils
you like...or both.

For the rare emergency when a customer (or non-customer) needs to talk to
our NOC and can't get email through, we have these neat things called
telephones.  They work pretty well.  In fact, I think mine often works too
well.

 Atlantic Net                |