Certification or College degrees? Was: RE: list problems?

Daniel Golding dgolding at sockeye.com
Thu May 23 19:09:48 UTC 2002

Oh really?

That's like saying that there is not enough stuff you have to know to
successfully design air conditioners or cars to fill single semester
courses, and yet, Mechanical Engineering programs exist.

A good undergrad degree program in network engineering would have...

- a solid CS core of introductory coding classes, with some OS stuff

- A bunch of math, concentrating on the applied side, especially statistics
and discrete math.

- EE, at least a year or two, to cover the basics

- The normal engineering core classes (calculus, physics, chemistry,
statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, fluids)

- And then some actual network engineering stuff like routing protocols,
wireless, microwave, optics, LAN technologies, etc

Finally, like most modern engineering programs, it would be heavily design
based, and include numerous design projects and a capstone project.

- Daniel Golding