Routers vs. PC's for routing - was list problems?

Scott Granados scott at graphidelix.net
Thu May 23 18:22:34 UTC 2002

Remember that a pc may have some certain functions that are "more
powerful" than a router but a pc is a much more general computer.
Routers are supposed to be and usually designed to do one thing only,
route, not play quake, balance your check book, browse the net, etc etc.
 So although for example a gsr-12000 may hhave a slower cpu than the
machine on your desk it probably will route and pass more traffic than
your pc ever will because of its design.  Not to say you can't route
well with a linux or bsd system you can but at the high-end probably not
as well.