list problems?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu May 23 00:20:08 UTC 2002

In a message written on Wed, May 22, 2002 at 05:00:27PM -0700, Paul Vixie wrote:
> bicknell at ufp.org (Leo Bicknell) writes:
> > If you ever want to become a team leader, or a manger, or run a
> > theoretical group you are going to need the math and English
> > backgrounds that college provides.  ...
>
> So what you're saying is, if I hadn't dropped out of high school during
> my 17th trip around Sol, I wouldn't've gotten stuck in this dead end job?

I said college provides those skills.  I did not say college was
the only way to get those skills.  The converse is true as well,
having those skills doesn't guarantee success.

> Is that how a college degree would have improved my career by age 39?

It is possible had you gone to college you would have done far more.

It is also possible you would have done far less.

It may have not made a difference.

What I firmly believe is that a college graduate is more likely to
be sucessful and be promoted, particularly before they are 30.  If
I had to advise someone coming out of high school, I would tell
them their best odds are to go to college.  But it's all an odds
game, sometimes you hit on 12 and bust, sometimes you hit on 19
and win.