Cisco 7200 VXR with NPE-400 (was RE: The market must be coming back)

Ralph Doncaster ralph at istop.com
Tue May 21 12:40:10 UTC 2002

> And please, lab tests doesnt show it all. Does the Foundry have a route
> cache? How many entries?

I've been trying to use Linux for routing.  I've had ~30Mbps going through
2 3Com cards without a hiccup.  The "problem" I'm having is figuring out
when I'll hit the limit of throughput.  Interrupt time doesn't show in top
or uptime, so it looks like the CPU is 99% idle (this is with a Duron
750).  I've also looked at the kernel routing code and found that there is
room for significant improvement by changing the route-cache code.  I
figure increasing the route-cache hash table size from 256 entries and
changing from one entry per IP to one entry per route prefix would give
about an order of magnitude of improvement based on typical route-cache
sizes of 5000 entries that I see.  However without knowing the true CPU
utilization I don't know if it is even necessary to try.

-Ralph