Cisco 7200 VXR with NPE-400 (was RE: The market must be coming back)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue May 21 05:27:35 UTC 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Gary wrote:

> I used a Cisco 7200 VXR with NPE-400.  I used two different 7200's with the
> exact same results.  Bidirectional throughput on 1GbE is a fraction above
> 10%.  Unidirectional is a bit better (23%).  Singl line ACL drops it to 8%
> (permit ip any any).  FE performance doesn't start to drop below line rate
> until you put more than two in the box.  I have a powerpoint if you'd like
> it, but it is not meant to slander Cisco, just to convince my customers NOT
> to put GbE in a 7200!  It is not a GbE platform!

I have personally seen a 7200 with PXF-chip and two PA-GE do NAT at
300megabit with a few (10-15) ftp streams going thru it. With more random
load it wouldn't go much above 100 meg, though.

And please, lab tests doesnt show it all. Does the Foundry have a route
cache? How many entries? I have seen equipment that performs perfectly in
the lab start to bog down when you put real traffic on them, because of
route cache limitations (for instance, 256.000 entries starts to be
problematic when you have thousands of customers running real internet
traffic thru the device).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se