The market must be coming back

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue May 21 05:05:42 UTC 2002

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 10:33:32PM -0600, Chance Whaley wrote:

> Oh phuleeese.... Stop drinking your own Kool-Aid(tm). To honestly
> suggest that Foundry, or any other vendor for that matter, never does
> 'anything less than perfect' is nothing less than idiotic. If Foundry
> does things so 'perfect' why do they have a TAC? Why do they have bugs?
> Why do they even need to release new software ever again? Obviously what
> is out now will solve every possible issue - its 'perfect' right? The
> only possible answer according to your logic, is to support customers
> who are 'doing it wrong' and need to be educated.

Personally I would say that Foundry does EVERYTHING less than perfect.
Nearly everyone I'm aware of (including myself) who has had to misfortune
to try and use their devices in a service provider environment and a layer
3 role has come away with a universal loathing of biblical proportions.

I really can't stress this enough, it DOES NOT MATTER how many gigabits
your box forwards. A router is ONLY as useful as the quality of its
software and support, if you can't login to it or have working routing
protocols, it's just a big paperweight. The only "wannabe cisco" company I
have seen learn this lesson is Juniper, and I am firmly convinced this is
the reason for their success in the core.

Whenever I read a press release about Foundry in the core, I stop and take
a moment to laugh uncontrollably. It has nothing to do with ISIS or MPLS,
it has to do with making your existing functionality work correctly and
behave in a sensible fashion. Nothing personal against Foundry, but the
people in charge couldn't possibly "not get it" any more than they do now.