"portscans" (was Re: Arbor Networks DoS defense product)

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sun May 19 17:42:31 UTC 2002

[ On Sunday, May 19, 2002 at 11:22:08 (-0400), Ralph Doncaster wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Re[4]: "portscans" (was Re: Arbor Networks DoS defense product)
>
> I think that's pretty stupid.  If I had my network admin investigate every
> portscan, my staff costs would go up 10x and I'd quickly go bankrupt.

Indeed -- and we can only hope.  I know a few companies who actually do
that, and sometimes their policies about how they do it are so broken
they refuse to acknowledge the difference between the likes of a squid
cache server just doing its job and a compromised Windoze box scanning
for web servers.  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods