"portscans" (was Re: Arbor Networks DoS defense product)

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at opaltelecom.co.uk
Sun May 19 09:12:36 UTC 2002

On 18 May 2002, Scott Gifford wrote:

> Scott Francis <darkuncle at darkuncle.net> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > And why, pray tell, would some unknown and unaffiliated person be scanning my
> > network to gather information or run recon if they were not planning on
> > attacking? I'm not saying that you're not right, I'm just saying that so far
> > I have heard no valid non-attack reasons for portscans (other than those run
> > by network admins against their own networks).
>
> Before choosing an onling bank, I portscanned the networks of the
> banks I was considering.  It was the only way I could find to get a
> rough assessment of their network security, which was important to me
> as a customer for obvious reasons.

I would argue that this is not good practice and you dont have the right
to intrude on the workings of the banks network just because you have the
technology to do so.. if a telnet port was open would you also check that
you were unable to brute force your way in? That is to say.. what exactly
were you hoping to find and then do with the results?

I'd also say your reason for this is void, its not your responsibility to
assess the bank's security. If they screw up they have insurance and
you're not at risk.

> I'm not sure if I would have been impressed or annoyed if they had
> stopped accepting packets from my machine during the scan.  :-)

But surely if all their prospects do this they will not be able to handle
the volume of attacks and will be unable to keep up with blocking the more
minor benign scans. And you as a customer ought to prefer their time is
spent on legitimate attacks which means no one scans then 'for good
reasons' and all scans are therefore malicious and worthy of
investigating...

Steve