"portscans" (was Re: Arbor Networks DoS defense product)

Scott Francis darkuncle at darkuncle.net
Sun May 19 03:07:22 UTC 2002

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 07:17:43PM -0400, ralph at istop.com said:
[snip]
> > network to gather information or run recon if they were not planning on
> > attacking? I'm not saying that you're not right, I'm just saying that so far
> > I have heard no valid non-attack reasons for portscans (other than those run
> > by network admins against their own networks).
>
> I often like to know if a particular web server is running Unix or
> Winblows.  A port scanner is a useful tool in making that determination.

a full-blown portscan is not required here. A simple telnet to port 80 will
do the job.

> <sarcasm>
> And why, pray tell, would some stranger be carrying a concealed gun if
> they were not planning on shooting someone?
> </sarcasm>

Show me how to defend myself from attack by portscanning the networks of
random strangers, and I will concede the point. :)

--
Scott Francis                   darkuncle@ [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t
Systems/Network Manager          sfrancis@ [work:]         t o n o s . c o m