PAIX (was Re: Interconnects)

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Fri May 17 22:49:53 UTC 2002

> > Mitch what has MFN's financial problems have to do with the quality of
> > the agreements that are in place for peering.
>
> Easy. It fills, and then no one wants to pay to increase it.
>
> If I am not mistaken, this has happened already.

Actually, only the Palo Alto location was ever in this situation, and the
parent at the time was Digital Equipment Corporation.  MFN did "pay to
increase it" when their time came.  Six PAIX locations are open today and
there is active peering occuring at all of them and there is room for more
peers at all of them.  Here's the list in case anybody was curious.

 site |                        shipto
------+------------------------------------------------------
 atl1 | 56 Marrieta St, Floor 5 and 7, Atlanta GA 30303-2885
 dfw1 | 1950 Stemmons Fwy, 1st Floor, Dallas TX 75207-3107
 jfk1 | 76 9th Ave, #734, New York NY 19911-5201
 sea1 | 2001 6th St, 12th Floor, Seattle WA 98121-2855
 pao1 | 529 Bryant St, Palo Alto, CA 95301 USA
 iad1 | 7990 Science Applications Ct, Vienna VA 00000-0000
(6 rows)

We are also providing "port only" services at several Abovenet locations,
several Switch and Data locations, Dataplex (in Hungary), and e-exchange
at 200 Paul St in San Francisco.  With more to come.

We have exchange agreements in place with SIX (active) and NYIIX (pending),
with more to come.

I welcome any further questions about PAIX's health or future.  When we
started this as a DEC business unit in ~1995 we had a 100 year business
plan in mind.  Looks to me like we're not quite finished, but that we've
made an excellent beginning.  There's much, much, much more to come.

I can't answer questions about PAIX's current parent (MFN) other than to
say that there was a press release a month or so back wherein PAIX was
called a "nonstrategic" asset and that they intended to sell us.
--
Paul Vixie <vixie at eng.paix.net>
President, PAIX.Net Inc. (NASD:MFNXE)