Arbor Networks DoS defense product

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rkuhljr at uol.com.br
Wed May 15 05:53:39 UTC 2002

| The attacks I have been able to detect represent around
| 10-15% of my traffic on an on-going basis.
|
| I'm curious about the business case for investing in DoS
| defense mechanisms. DoS traffic is boosting service provider
| revenues through increased customer bandwidth usage. So the

If and when
(a) customers don't get exemption for attack traffic
(b) the DoS traffic occurs more than 5% (or 1 - your percentile level) of
the month per customer circuit
(c) the DoS increases bytes transferred like large ICMP packet flood; this
is not the case for all DoS traffic, which can be a bunch of small packets
that actually decreases traffic

| investment in defense mechanisms like Arbor would have to
| replace or increase that revenue. Will these issues inhibit
| wide-spread implementation of DoS defenses?

I think a network that profits from client suffering doesn't keep its
contracts for much time.

Rubens Kuhl Jr.