Earthlink SMTP for Mobile Users

Andy Johnson andyjohnson at ij.net
Fri May 10 21:29:47 UTC 2002

    GTE/Verizon has been doing this for quite some time now (almost a year
or two?). I cannot recall the last time I've received SPAM from a
GTE/Verizon Internet customer since this policy. I recall before this policy
was in place, we got quite a large amount of spam from *.gte.net.

    Additionally, as you mentioned before, the From mailbox field can be
falsified. This is intended to allow you to remove yourself from mailling
lists amongst other things that require you to send from your email that may
be hosted else where. Some say this is a security hole, but realistically
your IP will be logged by Earthlink's SMTPD in the header anyways, so an
email to abuse at earthlink.com would most likely tag the users count as
mischevious.. This policy combined with tarpitting and a few other anti-spam
techniques seems to be the best way to run a responsible SMTPD for your
access customers. Just my 2 cents..