anybody else been spammed by "no-ip.com" yet?

David Charlap David.Charlap at marconi.com
Fri May 10 18:04:07 UTC 2002

Jim Hickstein wrote:

> My customers who reach me (a mail service) from Earthlink dialups
> are affected by this.  Apparently it's still happening.  I run a
> listener on another host and port, known only to this (so far)
> small subset of people, to be able to serve them.  In general, we
> advise people to use their ISP's relay for outgoing mail, but
> Earthlink won't let them relay because the sender domain is not
> one that Earthlink knows about (i.e. is charging them for).
>  Apparently.

Something's weird here.

My home DSL line is Earthlink.  I send out mail through their server
(specifically through smtp.mindspring.com), and I have my mail client
cofigured to use my yahoo.com address as the return address.  They don't
seem to care about the message's sender address as long as it comes from
an Earthlink link.

Is the dial-up any different?

Now, I do know that I can't send through the Earthlink/Mindspring server
from outside their network.  But that's not a big deal for me.  When I'm
away from home, I just use the server of whatever network I'm connected
to at the time, which has never given me a problem.

I think Earthlink has an SMTP-AUTH mail server as well.  It's not the
same one that the default dialups use, however.  I think it's
smtpauth.earthlink.com, but I haven't actually tried using it.

-- David