ratios

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Thu May 9 18:39:41 UTC 2002

I imagine "public relations" depts of CW and UUNET will not allow them to
just admit they would not peer, and this is why they "have" peering policies.

In reality however, UUNET will peer with anyone who pays them money for
the peering traffic and they do provide good discounts on this. Add to that
some ISPs have negotiated such that they get transit as part of their
uunet peering arrangements. I don't have know about CW currently, have
not dealt with them for long time, but years ago CWUSA (before buying MCI)
did peer willingly and MCI never did really. One interesting note is that
UUNET does peer with CW itself in number of new locations, for example big
peering point for both of them is Equinix in San Jose. Since I can't
imagine those companies going there just to peer with each other, they
must have number of other peers their as well... Equanix people - do you
want to comment on this?

As for buying from companies that are more open to peering, I think this
should come into play only if everything else is equal and more important
maybe their network and their willingness to work with customer on BGP and
setup custom filters, communities, etc.