ratios

Chris Parker cparker at starnetusa.net
Thu May 9 17:27:13 UTC 2002

At 01:05 PM 5/9/2002 -0400, Daniel Golding wrote:

>I have some trouble seeing why folks are so interested in meeting or
>debating peering requirements set out by carriers that have made it quite
>clear that they are not taking new peers. Most of the published requirements
>from these carriers serve two functions - to prevent new peers, and to
>depeer those who are felt to be not worthy. And even the latter is tenuous -
>most bilateral peering agreements allow for cancellation at will for
>absolutely no cause.

Most that I've signed require a bit more notice than, say, a couple
days.  Ours requires 60 days, unless it's for some cause ( which still
provides a period for the other network to "cure" ).

>You can publicly denounce them on a forum like this, which has doubtful
>effect.

It informs other networks of the actions taken by said carrier.  Other
networks may in turn change *their* business decisions based on that
information.

>Additionally, punishing folks for enforcing rational peering
>requirements is counterproductive.

Rational is a pretty subjective concept.  :)  Overly restrictive
covenants wrt housing have been struck down in the past.  One could
make an analogy to overly restrive peering agreements if one wanted
to go down that particular rat hole...

>I guess the best thing you can do is not take peering matters personally,
>and to remember that peering decisions are business decisions, and they by
>personalizing them, it creates unnecessary animosity.

Aye, and just like any business decision they affect other business
decisions.

Regardless, it smarts a bit when a peer with no warning terminates
peering and then offers to sell you transit in the same breath.  It
smacks a little too much of trying to strong-arm the peer into having
to pay for transit by not giving them sufficient time to develop alternate
arrangements.

-Chris
--
    \\\|||///  \          StarNet Inc.      \        Chris Parker
    \ ~   ~ /   \       WX *is* Wireless!    \   Director, Engineering
                   \ Wholesale Internet Services - http://www.megapop.net