Qwest outage In NY

Eric Gauthier eric at roxanne.org
Wed May 8 20:10:39 UTC 2002

> Qwest has confirmed a DOS attach against two of their Juniper routers in the
> NY POP.  I believe they had a UDP attack last week also (maybe on Saturday).
> This time the DOS was a TCP attack on the 100Mb management interface on the
> Juniper, leaving the box unable to pass packets, hence BGP stays up and a
> full routing table but you cannot get anywhere.

The story I just got from Qwest (from a NOCie who was reading from
their ticket, so take this with a grain of salt) made it sound like
that were flooded with bogus routes from some BGP peer.  I tend to
believe what you wrote above though.  I mean, getting a bunch of bogus
routes via a BGP peer doesn't seem like the kind of thing where you'd
call the vendor onsite (several Qwest NOC'ies stated that Juniper was onsite)
whereas a large-scale DOS might...  Anyways, that's the scoop that I've got

/me returns to lurking

Eric :)