ratios

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at opaltelecom.co.uk
Wed May 8 09:53:57 UTC 2002

> > must exchange at 4 locations over OC3 or above with at least 45Mb traffic
> > per location
>
> Not an entirely unreasonable goal. But then we come to bizaare ones like:
>
>   D. The applicant shall take steps to ensure that its routes are not
>   announced to Cable & Wireless from another network.
>
> What exactly is this supposed to accomplish?

I can only assume it means that CW consider themselves a Tier1 and they
will only accept routes from other peering only networks ie Tier1.

This always interests me, the kind of unofficial rules that other networks
striving for global superiority all seem to adopt. Surely if a group of
operators agree together that they will run the market and all other
players will buy from them then that cant be legal.. I guess its all
slightly too loose tho...

The opposite rule to this from local providers would be that you set your
BGP route maps to prefer any routes that dont go over a large network (CW)
.. thereby feeding the other more friendly networks (to take another
example UU are arguably the largest network and yet they will peer with
anyone regionally doing a fairly small amount of traffic...)

Whilst doing this may be a little militant you probably dont actually need
to.. not peering must reduce total traffic anyway: on the basis that you
arent a CW customer and chances are the routes you have installed to your
destination dont go over CW's network then they dont get the traffic
anyway.. and the other networks who do peer win.

Steve