ratios

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Wed May 8 04:07:07 UTC 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Chris Adams wrote:

> We recently received an email from AOL with the Subject "AOL email
> concerns for hiwaay.net".  It had some vague statistics:
>
> Total percentage of messages bounced:  0
> Total percentage of bounces accepted:  45%
> Total number of AOL member complaints:  0
>
> It then went on to say that if we didn't respond in 24 hours, we may be
> blocked from AOL.  I responded asking for more information, but never

Atlantic.net got the same thing.  I sent a similar "WTF are you talking
about", though not worded quite like that, message in reply.  It took them
a week and a half to reply to my reply.  Their reply was almost as vague
as the original message.  What I got from it is they are looking at
automating spam reporting and want us to setup or simply provide them with
an address they can configure their system to automatically forward
complaints to.  Why they couldn't just say that in the first message
rather than sounding all hostile is beyond me.  Maybe they've got a new
abuse dept. director who's got a serious drug problem.

They also completely ignored the message I included with my reply
mentioning their netscape.com webmail spam issue and asking what they
could do to stop that abuse.

Has anyone else tried capturing copies of mail with:

:0c:
* ^From:.*netscape\.net
netscapespam

to see what you get?  I did it for several days and got >90% spam...50
megabytes of it.

 Atlantic Net                |