ratios

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed May 8 00:42:14 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 12:43:39AM +0100, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:
> Richard,
>  I believe you also missed
>
> must operate a US-wide OC48 network.

Personally I would go with "must operate a network with sufficient
capacity to support the traffic being exchanged". Unless I was selling
US-wide OC48s of course.

> must exchange at 4 locations over OC3 or above with at least 45Mb traffic
> per location

Not an entirely unreasonable goal. But then we come to bizaare ones like:

  D. The applicant shall take steps to ensure that its routes are not
  announced to Cable & Wireless from another network.

What exactly is this supposed to accomplish?

> and most friendly of all, you must supply a detailed network topology and
> current operational capacities.. why not ask for 5 year business plan and
> bank numbers too .. and how about next weeks lottery numbers?

I don't suppose they'd take too kindly to an ascii diagram which just
happens to resemble a middle finger, would they? :)

Oh BTW on the subject of peering, has anyone noticed that AOL has cut off
a large number of transit providers and reportedly a number of content
hoster peers (though I havn't seen this first-hand) in recent days. I
guess when you have the largest eyeball population your only remaining
goal is to have the largest content population too. Something to think
about.