IP renumbering timeframe

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Mon May 6 17:29:57 UTC 2002

Randy is right.  We don't know both sides.  That having been said...

Ralph Doncaster wrote:
> What it tells me is I should have wasted enough space to consume 8 /24s
> long ago, so I could get a /20 directly from ARIN.

Right.  What ISPs need to realize is that whatever benefit that is gained
from provider-based addressing can be negated by people not having faith
that they can transition from one set of addresses to another.  Being
excessively strict benefits no one.   And so each side needs to be
reasonable.  Otherwise we'll have end customers going to ARIN -- or EBay.

In other words, this might be another instance of a frog in the pot.

Eliot