IP renumbering timeframe

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Mon May 6 13:37:36 UTC 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

> I think they're on dangerous ground, whether or not their contract says
> the IPs should be returned if they not only stop routing them but then
> start contacting third parties that they have no relationship with and ask
> them to stop routing them with the end result being that your business
> cannot function then I'd say this looks more malicious than pure business
> and I'd suggest to them a courtroom might view it that way too.

This whole thing sounds fishy.  He never passed any traffic to cogent, but
he was using their IPs.  Why wasn't he using Peer1's IPs?  Cogent tried to
get them shut down on a sunday?  Is there a serious BOFH in Cogent's
network monitoring group?  I doubt the billing department would be open
sunday afternoon to order the disconnect, much less know to suggest
contacting Peer1 to ask them to stop routing the space.  It sounds like
there's an awful lot missing from the story.

This is why using provider IP space sucks...but you have to plan
accordingly.  If you're in dispute and plan to terminate service, start
renumbering.  I've been there and done that.  I've also been on the other
end and let a customer have several months to renumber, but that was a
special case and they left on relatively good terms.  A customer who left
without paying their bill would likely not be treated so well.

 Atlantic Net                |