IP renumbering timeframe

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at opaltelecom.co.uk
Mon May 6 09:37:59 UTC 2002

> > > Well how am I supposed to arrange a payment on a Sunday afternoon?
> > >
> > > As well I'd say I've already paid them more than enough to use
> > > their IPs - I never brought up a BGP session with them and never
> > > passed a single packet to them.  I'm surprised to hear that such
> > > extortion techniques are considered acceptable.
>
> Read your contract with Cogent carefully. I know our contract states
> that any IP addresses allocated must be returned at termination of
> contract. As with all PA address space, I would suspect this is the norm.

Ours too but we'd still be reasonable, even with a company we had a major
dispute with (altho we might give them 1 month instead of 6 to return
them!).

I think they're on dangerous ground, whether or not their contract says
the IPs should be returned if they not only stop routing them but then
start contacting third parties that they have no relationship with and ask
them to stop routing them with the end result being that your business
cannot function then I'd say this looks more malicious than pure business
and I'd suggest to them a courtroom might view it that way too.

I dont like legal battles tho, so I'd probably contact them.. suggest they
are harming your business illegally and that a month or two is not
unreasonable to get alternative arrangements in place, dispute or not.

Steve