IP renumbering timeframe

Forrest W. Christian forrestc at imach.com
Mon May 6 06:55:12 UTC 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

> What is the generally accpted timeframe for renumbering?  My reading of
> ARIN policy would seem to imply at least 30 days.

I've read some of your other notes so I'm aware there may be extenuating
circumstances.  That said, I want to mention normal policies as far as I
can see here....

If you have a /22 from a provider, then your right to use it generally
terminates with the end of the contract with that provider.  If you knew
this relationship was going bad, the correct thing would have been to
renumber out of that space as soon as you "saw the writing on the wall" so
to speak and prepare for this event.

The bottom line is the space is theirs and they can do whatever they want
with it.

I know that if I terminate service to a customer (or the customer
disconnects with me), I expect an immediate return of the space.  If they
want to keep it they need to keep service with me.  Evidentally, there is
no current service arrangement between you and Cogent.

It sounds like you've got some stuff for the lawyers to fight about.
Most likely cogent has done what a lot of us on the list would expect to
be the right thing in relation to the space - immediately revoke use of
address space upon termination of service.  About the only leg you might
have to stand on as far as this is concerned is the termination notice
term language in the contract you signed with them ... I.E. they may have
to give you 30 days notice of termination of service, or if you gave them
notice, they might have to provide service for the remainder of the notice
term.  That said, I'd recommend you get runumbering as it will probably be
faster to renumber than to work something out with cogent as it sounds
like you aren't on the best of terms with them.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc at imach.com) AC7DE
The Innovation Machine Ltd.                              P.O. Box 5749
http://www.imach.com/                                Helena, MT  59604
Home of PacketFlux Technogies and BackupDNS.com         (406)-442-6648