uRPF Loose Check Mode vs. ACL

Livio Ricciulli livio at reactivenetwork.com
Sun May 5 18:55:21 UTC 2002

First of all, this list is great! I feel this is one of the best lists I
have ever seen... I thank you all for the great technical depth and
openness.

We have a product that offers DDoS mitigation with ACLs but I am
interested in learning more about uRPF Loose Check Mode to see if we can
integrate this idea into our product.

In particular, I am interested in the ability of eliminating specific
routes from the FIB under uRPF Loose Check Mode to effectively filter
specific source addresses that are flooding.

As I understand the concept, eliminating an address from the FIB such as
x.y.0.0/24 would have the equivalent effect of installing a network-wide
ACL rule:

deny ip x.y.0.0/24 any

Is this right?

If this is right, is there any way to use uRPF Loose Check Mode to have
an equivalent network-wide ACL rule of the form:

deny <proto> x.y.0.0/24 <destination>

where: <proto> is NOT ip and <destination> is NOT any?

The reason why I ask is that we would like to keep control of these
two important aspects of the traffic to avoid filtering out too much
and therefore possibly affecting legitimate traffic. Think of the case where
a flood targets one of multiple downstream customers and the spoofed
addresses correspond to a popular address range (such as Yahoo).  Doing
a "deny ip x.y.0.0/24 any" would effectively shut down Yahoo's traffic
for all downstream customers thus amplifying the attacker's effect.

Livio.