eBay and the DoS thread

Joel Baker lucifer at lightbearer.com
Sat May 4 05:16:48 UTC 2002

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 11:14:19PM -0400, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> I would like to take this opportunity to publicly shame eBay, who decided
> to fire one of their engineers for disclosing their "proprietary" methods
> for defending against DoS in the recent NANOG thread.
>
> The only appropriate punishment for a company with its head so far up
> its proverbial poop chute to prevent the sharing of simple recommendations
> on DoS prevention with the networking community is that all useful,
> intelligent, and responsable people consider their policies carefully
> before working there.
>
> </rant>

Not to claim it did, or didn't, happen, but at least one source claims that
all of eBay's engineers in that group were working as of COB on Thursday.
Is anyone willing to name names, for the skeptics who prefer not to trust
everything they read?

(No, my source isn't any more reliable than your source; I'm just noting
that healthy realism points out that FUD is a great way to hurt a company,
and would like some substantiation before being upset at eBay, as opposed
to generally disliking any company that woudl do such a thing).