DDOS attacks and Large ISPs doing NAT?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu May 2 18:17:04 UTC 2002

Yo Jon!

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Mansey, Jon wrote:

> That would come under the heading of a virus or trojan I believe. And sure
> there is no reason a NAT'd cell phone couldnt participate in this type of
> attack.

It may be a virus or a trojan, but it is still acting as a zombie amd it can
still use up all your bandwdith.  That was your original contention.

If you are arguing that NAT protects the phone itself from DDoS that
is also not true.  Just send it a bazillion pages, NAT does not help there.

NAT is just security by obscurity.  A speed dump in the road to a
commited hacker.

RGDS
GARY