Global view increase (was:BGP route explosion)

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Thu May 2 10:32:27 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2 May 2002 19:59:52 +1000
 James Spenceley <jrs at comindico.com.au> wrote:

> Around 15mins ago an additional ~5,000 routes entered the
> global view, sadly
> they appear to be hanging around.

This one I see.

These are coming from UUNET -at least as seen from here -
AS 705 added 4426 prefixes (from 609).

As there was not a corresponding increase in address space,
this is really more of a de-aggragation.

Same thing happened on Wed Apr 24 06:12:20, when
AS 701 added 2364 prefixes (from 2053). Again, it looked
like a de-aggragation.

If you look at Figure 1b of
http://www.multicasttech.com/status/index.html

you can clearly see both jumps.

AS 705 has only one ASN in transit through it from here.
The recent change was all _inside_ AS 705.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks