Large ISPs doing NAT?

Jake Khuon khuon at NEEBU.Net
Thu May 2 08:50:50 UTC 2002

### On Thu, 2 May 2002 10:42:01 +0200, "Daniska Tomas" <tomas at tronet.com>
### casually decided to expound upon <nanog at merit.edu> the following
### thoughts about "RE: Large ISPs doing NAT? ":

DT> and what if one of the devices behind that phone would also be a personal
DT> "ip gateway router" (or how you call that)... you could recursively iterate
DT> as deep as your mail size allows you to...

It's possible.  Could it get ugly?  Yes.  Do we just want to shut our eyes
and say "let's not go there."... well... maybe.  I just don't think the
solution is to say, "this can never happen... we must limit all handheld
devices to sitting behind a NAT gateway."

DT> hope this thread will not end in a router behind a router that serves as a
DT> router seving as a router to another router which has some other routers
DT> connected...

God forbid!  We might have a network on our hands!

--
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- |