Effective ways to deal with DDoS attacks?

Hank Nussbacher hank at att.net.il
Thu May 2 09:03:14 UTC 2002

At 09:58 PM 01-05-02 -0400, Wojtek Zlobicki wrote:

The ultimate goal of the DDOS attack is to take a specific user/site
down.  Blackholing is a way to help the attacker along.  If the user is a
small site, we say "screw it" and do the null0 in order to save the ISP
backbone links.  If the user is large (think eBay or any other major
e-commerce site), you wouldn't easily blackhole them in order to save the
rest of your network.  You would try to find a better solution.

Hank
Consultant
Riverhead Networks (formerly Wanwall Networks)
www.riverhead.com