Effective ways to deal with DDoS attacks?

Hank Nussbacher hank at att.net.il
Thu May 2 08:51:17 UTC 2002

At 01:49 AM 02-05-02 +0100, Avleen Vig wrote:

>As time goes by, tools are being developed (in fact they're used now) that
>completely randomize the TCP or UDP ports attacked, or use a variety of
>icmp types in the attack.
>So cuurrently the only way you can 'block' such attacks is to block all
>packets for the offending protocol as far upstream as you possibly can,
>but this is not ideal.
>
>If you're being attacked by a SYN flood, you can ask try to rate-limit the
>flood at your border (possible on Cisco IOS 12.0 and higher, and probably
>other routers too?)

ACLs have been a good tool for the past number of years to stop DOS attacks
but they suffer one very bad feature - they throw away the good packets
along with the bad packets.  The same goes for CAR.  The same goes for
taking a /32 and null routing it.  Consider Amazon being hit with a DDOS
attack from random spoofed IPs to their web site.  You can't block on
source IP since it is random.  If you block on destination IP - you end up
taking Amazon off the network (the ultimate aim of the attacker) at a daily
revenue loss of over $1M.

Therefore, the solutions in the future will be mechanisms that can filter
and sieve the bad packets out and let the good packets thru.

Disclosure: I consult to an anti-DDOS company with this philosophy.

Hank
Consultant
Riverhead Networks (formerly Wanwall Networks)
www.riverhead.com