Effective ways to deal with DDoS attacks?

Christopher L. Morrow chris at UU.NET
Thu May 2 04:39:12 UTC 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, dies wrote:

> Then you are pushing out /32's and peers would need to accept them.  Then
> someone will want to blackhole /30's, /29's, etc.  Route bloat.  Yum!

Yes.

> Additionally you are creating a way to basically destroy the Internet as a
> whole.  One kiddie gets ahold of a router, say of a large backbone
> provider, takes one of their aggregate blocks (/16? /10? /8?) and splits
> it into /32 announcements.

Or, blackhole the /16 :) more fun! (assuming no other smaller
announcements inside that /16 of course)

> Anyways, some providers already allow you to set a community on a route,
> and they will inturn "blackhole" it for you.  I believe Teleglobe does
> this for some customers and I know UUNet does this for all customers.

Hmm, Mr. 'dies' is almost correct... if you are a UUNET customer and you
would like to do this please call the customer service center and they
will help you to configure this 'service'.

Thanks though Mr. 'dies' :)