Effective ways to deal with DDoS attacks?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu May 2 02:18:39 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 09:38:52PM -0400, Wojtek Zlobicki wrote:

> How about the following :
>
> We develop a new community , being fully transitive (666 would be
> appropriate ) and either build into router code or create a route map to
> null route anything that contains this community.  The effect of this being
> the distribution of the force of the attack.

This has been proposed a dozen times over, and I agree that there should
be a well known community for discarding packets. Go try and get the IETF
to add it, let me know how it goes. :)

> This aside, how effective would be using a no export community with ones
> peers (being non transitive, it would still distribute the force of the
> attack).

Many people do this already. If you're looking to purchase transit and you
think this is something you'll care about, ask for it or vote with your
wallet.